2012 International Symposium on Education Reform
This event has ended.
Admission free. (Prior registration required.)
Simultaneous interpretation provided (Japanese & English)
Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) has been implemented in many countries around the world, but how it is delivered and developed varies. In advance of the Final Year Conference for the United Nations Decade for ESD, which will be held in Japan in 2014, this symposium seeks to explore how education should be designed in the future in line with the ESD concept by looking at historical background to the ideas and practices, regional characteristics and actual implementation by actors involved, with a view to further promoting ESD.
December 18, 2012
● Organized by
National Institute for Educational Policy Research
● Supported by (approval pending)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of the Environment, Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, National Federation of Educational Policy Research Institutes, Japan Society for the Promotion of Education and Research, Asia-Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO (ACCU), National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan, Japan Council on the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD-J), United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies, Japan Society for Science Education, The Japanese Society of Environmental Education, Japan Society of Earth Science Education, Japanese Association of School Education, Japan Curriculum Research and Development Association, Society of Japan Science Teaching, Intercultural Education Society of Japan, Environmental Education Teachers Association
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), 3F Auditorium
- 1-minute walk from Toranomon Station (Tokyo Metro Ginza Line), Exit 5 or 11
3-minute walk from Kasumigaseki Station (Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, Chiyoda Line, Hibiya Line), Exit A13
- Please click here for directions to the venue.
- 12:00 Reception Desk Opens
- 13:00－13:15 Opening Remarks: Haruki Ozaki Director General, NIER
- 13:20－14:55 Presentations: Trends and Issues on ESD
- 【Europe】 Michel Ricard Professor, University Michel de Montaigne Bordeaux 3 (France)
- 【North America】 Charles Hopkins UNESCO Chair, York University (Canada)
- 【Oceania and Asia】 John Fien Professor, RMIT University (Australia)
- 【Japan】 Shigeki Kadoya Director, Department for Curriculum Research, Curriculum Research Center, NIER
- 15:15－16:45 Panel Discussion: The Past, Present, and Future of ESD
- Panelists: Michel Ricard, Charles Hopkins, John Fien, Shigeki Kadoya
- Moderator: Masakazu Goto (Senior Researcher, Curriculum Research Center, NIER)
A reception with the speakers is scheduled after the symposium. If you would like to attend, please also register for the reception. Further information will be provided to registered participants in early December.
Registration Secretariat for the 2012 International Symposium on Education Reform (Simul International, Inc.)
(Hours: 10:00－17:00 Closed on weekends and holidays)
TEL:03-3524-3132 FAX:03-3524-3135 e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org